Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Rinse, Repeat



When I started this blog in oh, August of 2008, I had no idea that nearly 9 years on I'd still be posting.

At times I feel like a broken record as I tackle the same subject, over and over again, examining it from this angle, then that, summarizing my thoughts, distilling them into pithy cliches.

For a time I felt uncomfortable doing this.  But I had to remember that not everyone who is currently following this blog has been doing it from day 1 or even day 1000, and I am frequently amazed by the number of past posts that crop up on my stats page (where Google very helpfully tells me how many times the post has been viewed and it's original posting date).

Over the years I have also (ahem) changed my mind about things.  I have discovered different ways and methods, tools and techniques.

But that is what life is all about, right?  Learning new stuff, learning more details, learning about the deeper subtleties of the craft and changing your mind!  

Because that is how we grow.  By keeping an open mind.  By fact checking.  By not just accepting what someone tells you, but trying it out.  Reading up on the subject.  Finding out.  Using your critical thinking skills.

And so it would appear that I will continue to bang the drum.  Preach to the choir.  Rinse, and repeat.

Currently reading Vicious Circle by C. J. Box

1 comment:

Brenda said...

It's interesting, sometimes humbling and occasionally embarrassing to look back over past work. I'm back to freelance writing and graphic design, so writing comes to the forefront of my thoughts about this. When I go back and read things I wrote 20 years ago, sometimes I'm horrified but many times I'm impressed. "Who wrote that?" I ask myself. Just received copies of an arts and culture guide for a client, which I designed and also wrote much of the copy. Looks good, and I'm happy with it. And fully realize it's the culmination of years of experience and practice.

Currently reading The Girl Who Saved the King of Sweden by Jonas Jonasson.